I trained as an optometrist overseas and want to practice optometry in Australia – what can I do?
- Persons holding a qualification in optometry obtained from a School of Optometry outside Australia and New Zealand are required to pass the Competency in Optometry Examination before making application for limited registration.
- To work as an optometrist in Australia, you need to apply for and be registered with the Optometry Board of Australia.
- You may also need to apply for a visa issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Australian Immigration Department).
Which Australian programs qualify for registration?
A list can be found at http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Education/Approved-Programs-of-Study.aspx?ref=Optometrist. 
- http://www.optometryboard.gov.au/Registration/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx 
- http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities 
- http://www.optometryboard.gov.au/Policies-Codes-Guidelines/FAQ.aspx 
- http://www.ocanz.org/ 
- http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx 
- http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Criminal-history-checks/International-Criminal-History.aspx 
- http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Education/Approved-Programs-of-Study.aspx?ref=Optometrist